Thursday, October 16, 2014

I Can't Keep My Eyes Open!!

Back in high school I stayed up late sometimes and, for at least part of my career, had to be at the school at 5:30 in the morning.  I used to spend my days sitting in school, then when school was over if I wasn't participating in sports I was shooting hoops with my friends or playing with my dog.  What I am trying to say is I was an active kid.  I wore myself out everyday, and then would have trouble turing my brain off to sleep at night.  The strange thing is, I very rarely found myself falling asleep in class.  The only class I truly fell asleep in was calculus, a class I doubt I will ever use again. 
Now fast forward 15 years and I face a non stop battle every day.  I am fighting to keep my eyes open, and they are fighting to close.  If I didn't know better I would think I had a Pseudo Apraxic Blepharospasm, a condition characterized my the involuntary slow closer of the eyelids with the inability to open them.  I can be focused on what the professor is trying to say and just slowly drift off to sleep.  Or worse than that I can be sitting at home and fall asleep with my kids talking to me.  I just cannot seem to stay awake!
When did this happen?  Growing up my brother and I used to make fun of my dad because any time he sat down he would fall asleep.  Well he was nice enough to pass this disease on to me.  Luckily I have friends and family who wake me up when needed.  Not always in the most pleasant way, but hey sometimes that's what it takes.  
During first year I would try drinking some caffeine to stay awake, then I noticed that really didn't help me. Then I tried taking something snacky to eat, this would keep me awake while I was eating then as soon as it was gone away I would drift.  (Not to mention sitting all day in class munching on something wasn't very good for my waistline either.)  However this is not always the case as my wife has been witness to me falling asleep while chewing.  She also likes to make fun of the fact that we usually take a couple of nights to watch a movie because we start falling asleep.
Part of it is my fault.  I don't make the time for sleep that I should.  I stay up to enjoy some time with my wife, without my children running around.  And then I am addicted to running so most mornings I wake up between 5:00 and 5:20 a.m. and head out for a run.  So I usually only get about 6 - 7 hours a night.  But back just 8 years ago or so this would have been more than enough. 
So what has happened.  I believe I am just getting older.  This 31 year old body just isn't what it was a few years back.  
So anybody got any suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to your thirties. I don't know how your brother does it, but I need 8-9 hours a night now to be fully functional.
    I just read a fantastic book called The Essentialist and he talks about the importance of sleep. You have to protect your greatest asset-you. It's harder to prioritize and be effective when you're tired, so you actually get more done when you are well rested.
    So the solution isn't an easy one, but you need more sleep! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete